Be at One Brighton
As parents it’s not often that we get to go out together as a couple. However a few weeks ago an invite popped into my inbox that I couldn’t turn down. It was to an evening of cocktail drinking and making and fun at Be at One Brighton. I’m not usually a big drinker, however when I do, cocktails are usually involved. Jesse is more of a craft beer man but will have a cocktail if the occasion calls for it. So we arranged for nanny to babysit and we headed off for an evening of fun.
If you aren’t familiar with Be at One then you have been missing out. I’ve been to several in London but I’d never been to the bar in Brighton. If you are looking for a quiet night out then Be at One isn’t the place for you. It’s fun, the staff are always friendly and the music is loud. The theme of the evening was #lifeifwhatyoumixit and it was to celebrate the launch of their new cocktails. I usually stick to what I know when we are out so this made me move away from those which was good. I actually found a few new ones I really liked!
Upon arrival we were ushered to the bar where there were menus and martini glasses filled with popcorn. There were 8 new drinks on offer for the evening including
- Banoffee old-fashioned which is Woodford reserve bourbon, white chocolate liqueur, banana syrup and banoffee foam
- Blue steel which is beefeater gin, prosecco, santome, blue Curacao, white peach, egg white and lemon.
- Jet Pilot which contains two different rums, spiced lime liqueur, cinnamon syrup, grapefruit, lime and absinthe.
- Erin Rose which is an ice cream based cocktail. It has a mix of Jameson caskmates and original whiskey, with a coffee cream and vanilla ice cream.
- Coco Perfectico which has blanco tequilla, an elderflower liqueur, coconut syrup and lime juice.
- Kiss from a rose which has gin, rose wine, strawberry and cucumber, pomegranate and an elderflower tonic.
- Better Call Sol which contains lime vodka, sol beer, ginger and lemon, pineapple and a hint of black pepper.
There was also a non-alcoholic one called forest fire which sounded really good as well. In fact the first time I ever went to a Be at One bar was when I was pregnant and I can definitely say that they do great non alcoholic ones as well.
My first choice was a Kiss from a Rose and I have to say was it definitely my favourite of all the new ones. I absolutely love anything with berries, and although I am not usually a gin drinker I really liked this one. Jess went for a Better Call Sol which I tried and I was surprised, you couldn’t actually taste the beer but I’m not a fan of pineapple so I didn’t like that one. It was then time for the fun to begin.
Shake it up!
We were going to be doing a quiz based around cocktails. Jess usually hates quizzes where as I love them. Music and entertainment are definitely my subjects when it comes to quizzes and this one was based around both! Sadly we didn’t win but we did have a great time. We also had some fun tasks to do during the quiz including making up our own cocktail. We were given 5 shot glasses by the bar staff, a cocktail mixer and some ice.
However we weren’t told what the 5 ingredients were, we just had to guess. We decided to put all but one in and hope for the best, it actually turned out ok just very sweet and I think we missed out the mixer so it was basically just all alcohol – oops. The bar staff judged them all, and we ended up getting a 4 out of 5 so it couldn’t have been that bad.
There was also a shaking challenge, where a member from each quiz team had to go up to the bar. We were then given a cocktail shaker filled with ice, and told to shake it. The idea being that people would give up because it gets so cold. However no one did! We were all quite happy shaking the makers despite how cold it got! If you saw any of my Instastories or posts from the evening that you would have seen this on there.